Day /Short stay surgery
Welcome to Medica’s day surgery unit. At Medica you can be assured of expert medical services, comprehensive facilities and excellent patient care provided by highly qualified and experienced professionals.
At Medica we offer surgical services in several specialties including;
- General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Gynaecological Surgery
- Others on a case-by-case basis
- Surgeries are performed under general and local anaesthesia.
Call us for an appointment on
About Day Surgery at Medica
Assessment pre and post surgery procedures
- Careful patient selection would be priority of Medica to ensure a successful day/ short stay surgical experience. Criteria will be strict and pre-assessment given priority. Strict Guidelines for patient selection will be followed
- Pre-assessment will be given importance to assess whether the patients fit the criteria, and give the opportunity for the patients and staff to familiarize themselves with one another, to provide information and advice and for the patient to ask questions.
- The nurses at Medica will provide support and advice and as much information as required, after admission and prior to surgery.
- After the patients have been prepared for theatre, their care will be handed over to the theatre staff, who will then act as the patients advocate whilst the patient undergoes surgery.
- Post operatively, after general anaesthesia, patients will stay in the Medica Day Surgery Unit for a minimum of two hours prior to their discharge. The unit provides private rooms for such patients.
- Patients who have operative procedures under local anaesthesia, will be recovered in the same area before being discharged.
- Prior to discharge health education, information about medication, wound care, sutures, pain relief, life style, work and play as well as contact numbers for help and advice will be given.
- In order to be discharged patients should have a responsible caretaker to look after them for 24 hours following surgery and to take them home in private transport.
- Medica aims to care for patients undergoing surgery with minimal disruption to their lifestyle.
Medica will promote continuation of care following discharge and therefore will operate a telephone follow-up service.
On admission the patients will be asked whether they would object to being contacted by phone the following day to ensure that a good recovery has continued. If the patient consents, the nurse will telephone the patient 24 hours after discharge and assess the patient This telephone follow up service will be beneficial for both staff and patients and their carers as it will give the opportunity to clarify any problems and it will give the patients a chance to ask questions.